Sunday, February 7, 2016

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace
By: Jonathan Kozol

Connections: 

While reading I was able to relate Kozol's piece to several other author's read thus far in class, including Kristof's: U.S.A., Land of Limitations? and Delpit's Other People's Children

While it seems vague, a quote from Delpit's article that I related to Kozol's was when she stated "When you're talking to white people they still want it to be their way" and then further "They won't listen, white folks are going to do what they wan't to do anyway." Jonathan Kozol is a white man, and I did not get the vibe from this article that he wasn't giving this young boy and his mother a chance to describe and show him their livelihood. It almost made Delpit's quote look like more of an assumption than a fact.

Amazing Grace is also relatable to the Land of Limitations article. Kristof references something he once heard "I grew up poor, but I worked hard and I made it. If other people tried, they could, too. Sure, there are extraordinary people who have overcome mind-boggling hurdles." A section in Amazing Grace that reminded me of this was when the mother's friend's son had a college scholarship, and he ended up dying as a drug addict. When Kristof says "talent is universal, but opportunity is not." This incident in particular completely contradicts the quote because the boy had talent, but his lifestyle ended up taking over. 

Questions/Comments/Points to Share:
What I enjoyed most about this text was how it provided factual information about the everyday struggles that underprivileged people go through, it told the readers a story about an older women and a younger boy. I feel more effected by a text when I'm hearing it directly from the somebody has been personally involved in a situation rather than just from statistics and news articles. 



3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Kozol's as well as delpit and land of limitation are very similar. They introduce the facts of people living in poverty and how without opportunity to grow they usually lead unsuccessful lives. I liked how you brought quotes into this from the other articles and explained some hurdles in which each person had to overcome. It seems that Privilege is a common theme and with it you seem to get started off on better ground and that's what your main points seem to have presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had read the other article but I was getting the same feeling. The other one really related to Kristof, but I could also see it relating to more. I also agree that the article is much easier to read when it is from someone who is personally involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callie, you did a really good job of connecting Kozol's article to both Delpit, and Kristof's articles. I agree, I feel as though Delpit was making an assumption and sharing her own opinion. But I definitely don't think that is a fact, as Jonathan Kozol proves. It is also important to acknowledge the point that Kozol's article contradicts Kristof's belief that "talent is universal, but opportunity is not." The boy had both a great deal of talent and opportunity but as you said his lifestyle took over. However, I still think that in some instances Kristof's quote is relevant. Great job!

    ReplyDelete