Sunday, March 20, 2016

This American Life & The Problem We All Live With

The Problem We Live In: Episodes 562 & 563

Reflection:
Although this reading assignment was definitely a time-consuming one, it was extremely beneficial towards my current knowledge of how certain school systems are working and how we can seek to improve them in the future. I found episode 562 to be the more informative and intriguing of the two because it was coming directly from somebody negatively involved which made it more personal and eye opening. After listening to both episodes and reading Herbert's text, I found many similarities between his points and those stated in episode 562 as well. A point Herbert stressed just as Nikole and the student Maria did was that the environment plays a huge role in the students and schools lives. I found the fact that Nikole Hannah-Jones opened with stating that Michael Brown attended the Normandy School District. This was a way for listeners to familiarize themselves with the location and story-line. Something I found up for interpretation was her statement of the evaluation of "good vs. bad" schools. The views on what make schools good or bad change from person to person, usually depending on the type of schools they themselves attended. 

A fact that I found very interesting was how when in a school environment with a higher amount of races, standardized test scores improved among students who tested low previously. I found it humorous when Jones said "it's not like a switch turns on" when white students are testing with students of color, but those in the middle and higher classes are provided with superior facilities. Students not surrounded by poverty have a higher amount of available courses, preferred, certified teachers and less transportation issues. When following a student throughout the day in her school, Jones found that what was considered to be an "AP" English class was held in a science lab because of a scent in the original classroom and the only time the teacher was in the class was when they were handing out an elementary styled worksheet. The exposure of the lack of teachers in these schools opened my eyes as a future educator, wondering what credentials these people actually need to be hired and how I would be viewed upon if ever applying to a school like this.



Comments/Points to Share:
Listening to Maria's story made me question if anything like this happened within the Westerly Public Schools district that I attended, how our community would react as well. While completing all all of the readings this week, I couldn't help but relate each section to the idea of "White Privilege." An in-class connection that stood out to me in the real world occurred while watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy aka the show of life. Check it out here :)

5 comments:

  1. Callie great points presented in your blog. I thought your picture showing the math equation and what it reads was important in supporting your points about white privilege and how a better opportunity presents with the better outcome. Integration of under funded school students in a better funded school of white students may work and the ability to achieve success may increase but there is no guarantee. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog Callie. I absolutely love love love that you included that scene from Grey's Anatomy. Within that little over 2 minute clip, it really shows how current this issue still is. People with white skin, including myself, don't usually think of how hard some other people might have it. I think you did a really good job with your blog and the clip was a good way in my opinion to wrap this topic up and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really great job of explaining all the main points and bringing them together with what you think. I also enjoyed your clip because it's just another present day piece of evidence that proves the issue is still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you definitely hit the main points and explained them really well while incorporating with what you think. I absolutely love the Grey's Anatomy clip, it really shows that the issue of white privilege is still an issue and that white people do not see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the cartoons you chose to post and the video clip of the Grey's Anatomy episode. I felt that these media accounts really helped to solidify the main points you described throughout your post and found that the video from Grey's Anatomy was very interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete